There has been an ever growing interesting in the Internet of Things (IoT). Beyond being just plain cool, IoT is a really interesting area of growth in pretty much any industry that has figured out how to make use of it. Some of the implementations of IoT include cruise ships, self-driving cars, smart thermostats, and MANY, MANY other applications! With cloud-based IoT services like those offered from Microsoft Azure it’s becoming much easier to build more powerful Internet of Things (IoT) solutions.
On the training side, there’s not too much available for teaching you how to build Internet of Things (IoT) architectures and solutions in the cloud. Recently, I published a new learning path and series of on-demand courses and hands-on labs on Building IoT Apps on Microsoft Azure over at SkillMeUp.com.
Building IoT Apps on Azure Learning Path
The “Building IoT Apps on Azure” learning path on SkillMeUp.com (powered by Opsgility) will teach you the fundamentals of building Internet of Things (IoT) solutions using Microsoft Azure IoT services and technologies. This learning path was designed by me (Chris Pietschmann) to guide beginners and those more experiences with Azure IoT through what services / features area available, how to design an IoT architecture in the cloud, what Raspberry Pi and Arduino offer for building IoT hardware devices, building Azure IoT Edge devices, and so much more!
Here are the individual on-demand courses and hands-on labs that make up this Learning Path in addition to a brief explanation of the topic areas for each:
- Introduction to Azure IoT (50 minutes) – This course will introduce you to the basics of IoT and what the Microsoft Azure platform offers for building IoT solutions in the cloud.
- Introduction to Azure IoT Hub (1 hour) – This course covers what Azure IoT Hub is and what features it offers for building IoT solutions in the cloud around messaging, device management, and more.
- IoT Stream Processing in Azure (30 minutes) – This course looks at designing IoT Stream Processing in Microsoft Azure using Azure Stream Analytics and Azure HDInsights services. It also covers using Lambda Architecture for implementing both Stream Processing and Batch Processing data paths within an IoT or Big Data solution.
- Hands-on Lab: IoT Messaging with Azure Stream Analytics and Azure IoT Hub (1 hour, 30 minutes) – This hands-on lab will guide you through setting up and configuring messaging for implementing Lambda Architecture within Azure using Stream Analytics and Azure IoT Hub with a simulated IoT device written in C#.
- Introduction to Azure IoT Solution Accelerators (46 minutes) – This course looks at what Azure IoT Solutions Accelerators offer for more easily building Internet of Things solutions in the cloud; including Remote Monitoring, Connected Factory, Predictive Maintenance, and IoT Device Simulation.
- Introduction to Azure IoT Central (38 minutes) – This course looks at building Internet of Things solutions using Microsoft Azure IoT Central; a SaaS offering for building IoT cloud-based backends without any cloud or IoT expertise or programming!
- Introduction to Azure IoT Edge (23 minutes) – This course looks at using Azure IoT Edge to build Edge-computing devices that can have IoT Edge Modules deployed to bring cloud capabilities down to run on-premises closer to IoT devices with lower latency.
- Hands-on Lab: Deploy Azure IoT Edge Module to Simulated Linux Device (40 minutes) – This hands-on lab will guide you through setting up, configuring, and deploying an Azure IoT Edge device that communicates with Azure IoT Hub. The IoT Edge Device in the lab will be a simulated device running on an Ubuntu Linux Virtual Machine (VM) in Azure.
- Azure IoT Devices and Platforms (35 minutes) – This course looks at the different Internet of Things devices and platforms available for building and prototyping IoT hardware solutions. This course will look at the Microsoft Azure Sphere platform, as well as Windows 10 IoT, Raspberry Pi, and Arduino. This course also looks at the Azure Certified for IoT program.
- Introduction to Azure IoT Sphere (45 minutes) – This course looks at the Microsoft Azure Sphere IoT hardware platform built to provide highly secured, connected Microcontroller (MCU) devices. This course covers topics from the Azure Sphere hardware MCU all the way to the Azure Sphere cloud-based services and integration.
- Overview of IoT Security (24 minutes) – This course looks at the importance of IoT Security, and discusses IoT Security Architecture topics and best practices, as well as concepts for securely deploying IoT devices.
Overall, this Building IoT Apps on Azure learning path provides you with a really broad overview of what the Microsoft Azure platform offers when designing, building, and deploying an Internet of Things (IoT) solution in the Microsoft Azure cloud. If you’re a beginner, this course will provide you with all the knowledge you need to get started building cloud-based IoT solutions with Microsoft Azure. If you’re more experienced, this course will still provide you with a great overview of all the different IoT offering with the Microsoft Azure cloud, and better prepare you for future IoT development with all the great emerging technologies in this space!