mcse_datamanagementandanalyticsMicrosoft continues to expand out their certification program to better fit the newly emerging “cloud-based” world of IT. As a result, the existing Microsoft Azure exams as well as new exams being published are being integrated into the broad spectrum of Microsoft certifications; such as the MCSE. The MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification has recently been introduced as part of a new redesign and restructuring of the MCSE certifications. This article explains some of the details around how you can go about earning the new MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification.

On the path to earning the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics an MCSA certification will first be earned.

The MCSA Foundation

On the path to earning the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification an MCSA certification will first be earned. It’s really good to have a milestone along the way, instead of having to take a tone of exams before claiming any single certification title / credential. Additionally, instead of just a single MCSA choice to earn, there are actually multiple tracks to choose from based on your unique combination of expertise and interests.

Here’s the list of the MCSA certification tracks, along with the exams you’ll need to pass to achieve each of them:

As you can see the MCSA foundations mostly require 2 exams to be passed; these are the newer MCSA’s. The older MCSA for SQL Server 2012/2014 requires 3 exams to be passed to earn. All these MCSA’s fill provide a solid foundation of SQL Server in the specific track that you choose.

MCSE: Data Management and Analytics

Once a qualifying MCSA certification (as listed above) has been earned, the next path to the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification is to pass only 1 more exam. Also, best of all, you get to choose which exam you would like to take from a list of elective exams.

Here’s the list of elective exams to choose from to build on top of the MCSA foundation when achieving the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification:

Even if you choose to focus on SQL Server 2012/2014 or SQL Server 2016 with the MCSA you earned, it’s up to you if you want to mix some Azure / Cloud expertise into  your certification for the MCSE, Or, you can still with SQL Server for your choice elective exam as well.

Once a qualifying MCSA certification (as listed above) is earned, the next path is to pass 1 more exam to earn the full MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification!

Happy studying!

Updated May 27, 2017: Microsoft announced a renaming of a few of the MCSA certifications and the addition of more elective exams for the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification.

Updated Apr 13, 2017: Added info about MCSA Data Science certification.

Posted by Chris Pietschmann

Chris is a 6-time Microsoft MVP and has nearly 20 years of experience building enterprise systems both in the cloud and on-premises. He is also a Certified Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect (both MCSD and MCSE), a Microsoft Certified Trainer, and self proclaimed Cloud Advocate. He has a passion for technology and sharing what he learns with others to help enable them to learn faster and be more productive.

22 Comments

1. Hassan Manasfi March 8, 2017 at 6:40 am

Can 70-764 be substituted for 70-464 as an elective for the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification?

1. Exam 70-764 will count towards the MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administrator certification that is one of the starting tracks on your way to the MCSE. Once you have this MCSA, then you need to take an additional elective exam to earn the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics. This elective could be the 70-464 exam among a few others.

2. Hassan Manasfi March 9, 2017 at 12:01 am

Thank you Chris for your reply. I might have mis-phrased my question. After earning the MCSA: SQL 2016 BI Development can I take 70-764 instead of 70-464 to earn the MCSE.

1. Hassan Manasfi March 9, 2017 at 1:13 am

Sorry I meant 70-762. My mistake.

3. Hi Chris,

I have a tricky Question as I am not very familiar to Azure Certification Process and its a little Complicated too.

I Want to have Two MCSE Certs

1) MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure – I believe the best for this for Me is Giving 70-533, 70-534 followed by 70-473: Designing and Implementing Cloud Data Platform Solutions (Its on the list). I also wonder Why is the Third exam required as MCSA has 70-533 and 534 and Is this a general Microsoft Practice, Are the Exams cleared for MCSA not valid for MCSE even if they are in the MCSE List, This brings me to My Next Cert)

2) MCSE: Data Management and Analytics: Now for Obtaining MCSE Data Management and Analytics I can pass the 70-473 and get the certification after the MCSA Certs, But will 70-473 cleared for MCSE: Cloud Platform be valid for MCSE: Data Management and Analytics or I need to give some Other Exam.

Please Help

1. Chris Pietschmann October 31, 2017 at 5:42 pm

1) To earn an MCSA you need to pass the 2 exams for that particular MCSA you are looking to earn. Then you can take a single elective exam to upgrade your MCSA to an MCSE certification.

2) Some exams do count towards multiple certifications. If you are looking to earn the MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure and the MCSE Data Management and Analytics, then you’ll want to compare the required and elective exams to determine the best course of action for yourself to take.

1. Thanks a lot Chris,

Does this mean If I cleared 70-473 as it is present in both certification tracks, I can have two certifications based on a single exam so for MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure and the MCSE Data Management and Analytics I will only need to clear a total of 5 Exams ? or will I Still need 3 Exams each ?

2. Chris Pietschmann November 1, 2017 at 11:36 am

Yes if you pass 473, that 1 passed exam will count towards each larger certification 473 counts towards without the need to take another exam.

4. Thanks a lot Chris, for your Awesome help , Much Appreciated 🙂

5. Hi Chris

I am targeting MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certificate. I am aware that I should be an MCSA first, therefore, I’ve cleared exam 70-767 (Implementing​ SQL Data Warehouse), and now I am preparing for 70-768 ( SQL Data models). If I managed to get the latter, and git the MCSA, will I be automatically awarded MCSE also, because 70-768 is also an elective for MCSE? Or do I need to take the exam twice, one for the MCSA and another one for MCSE?

Thanks and regards

1. Chris Pietschmann November 11, 2017 at 3:01 pm

You will need to take another elective exam to upgrade from MCSA to MCSE.

6. Hi Chris

Thanks for your continuous assistance.

I got my MCSA SQL 2016 Business Intelligence Development by clearing 70-767 and 70-768 exams.

I want to upgrade to MCSE Data Management & Analytics. Would 70-466 exam qualify me for MCSE ??

Thanks​ & Regards

1. Chris Pietschmann February 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Yes, additionally passing exam 70-466 with already having passed 70-676 and 70-768 already (form MCSA) will earn you the MCSE: Data Management & Analytics certification.

7. Hi Chris,
    Referring to your post here: https://buildazure.com/2017/04/13/new-mcsa-bi-reporting-certification-from-microsoft/.
    You write that 778 will be listed as an elective exam for elevation to MCSE. I just completed 778, 767 and 768 and did not get the MCSE, only a MCSA.
    Checked with my local test center and according to them and the MS website, 778 is NOT an elective exam for the MCSE Data Management & Analytics.

Is this something that is “coming soon” or what is going on? I had expected an MCSE so of course I feel a bit dissapointed at the moment…

Regards,
    Linus

8. neelam kavlani March 7, 2018 at 2:06 am

Hi Chris,

Can you help suggesting the certifications that correspond to the below competencies:

-MPN Competency: Data Platform & Analytics Foundational for Data Analytics Competency
    -MPN Competency: Business Intelligence for Data Analytics
    -MPN Competency: Advanced Analytics for Data Analytics

Which also certifications do my team members need to qualify to attain the “Data Analytics Competencies Title”.

Thanks and Regards
    Neelam Kavlani

1. Chris Pietschmann March 23, 2018 at 8:03 am

You’ll want to contact the MPN program for information on what counts towards each of the competencies.

9. Hi Chris,

I just need help with the below:

I have an MCSE 2012/2014 In Business Intelligence.
    I wrote the below exams:
    MCSA
    70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
    70-462: Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 Databases
    70-463: Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
    MCSE
    70-466: Implementing Data Models and Reports with Microsoft SQL Server
    70-467: Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server

Now I want to upgrade to 2016, Which exams do I need to write in order to upgrade?

1. Chris Pietschmann April 3, 2018 at 8:29 am

The electives you list for the MCSE still count towards the electives to take for the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification. To “upgrade” to SQL 2016, you’ll need to pass the exams for either of the SQL 2016 MCSA certifications (either Database Administration or Database Development).

10. Hi,

If I have my MCSA in SQL Server 2012/2014 and if I passed exam 70-778 Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI. Do I qualify for my MCSE?

Kind Regards
    Vikash Maharaj

1. Chris Pietschmann April 3, 2018 at 8:27 am

No, the 70-778 is NOT on the list of electives to choose for upgrading to the MCSE: Data Management and Analytics certification.

11. Hi, But my case is
    I got MCSA by 70-761, 70-762
    And I passed an elective 70-773 too towards MCSE.

But my MCP portal still expects me to complete 70-774 to earn MCSE 🙁
    Where am i wrong .

thanks

1. Chris Pietschmann April 22, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Hmm… this is odd and doesn’t match the documented exam requirements. You may want to contact Microsoft directly to find out what’s going on.