Are you having difficulty keeping up to date on all the frequent changes and updates in the Microsoft Azure space? Then the Build Azure Weekly has the solution you’re looking for. Build Azure Weekly is a weekly blog post that includes all the latest Microsoft Azure Service Updates from the week in addition to links to many other blog articles, podcasts and videos from all over the Internet.
If you want to receive these in your email, then don’t forget to Subscribe!
Here’s a list of the Microsoft Azure Service Updates from over the past week:
- Announcing the new Azure Marketplace experience
- Enhanced Automated Backup for SQL Server 2016 in Azure Virtual Machines
- Welcome Azure Functions to the South India region
- Introducing Microsoft Azure IP Advantage
- Public preview: Multiple IP addresses per NIC
- Import support for signed DSC node configurations in Automation
Here are some of the most notable links from the week:
- Announcing general availability of Managed Disks and larger Scale Sets by Corey Sanders
- Azure DocumentDB: Entry point for partitioned collections now 75% cheaper by Arnaud Comet
- Microsoft to aid Azure customers in taking on patent trolls via ZDNet
- Setup SSL / TLS on Azure CDN Custom Domain by Chris Pietschmann
In an effort to promote the greatness that a good tech book can be, here’s the weeks featured book:
Written by Boris Scholi, Trent Swanson, Daniel Fernandez
Microservice-based applications enable unprecedented agility and ease of management, and Docker containers are ideal for building them. Microsoft Azure offers all the foundational technology and higher-level services you need to develop and run any microservices application. Microservices with Docker on Microsoft Azure brings together essential knowledge for creating these applications from the ground up, or incrementally deconstructing monolithic applications over time.
Here’s a collection of some of the most note worthy blog articles posted over the past week:
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Azure Backup and Azure Site Recovery now available in UK by Andres Juarez
- Microsoft adds Cisco UCS to short list of servers that will run Azure Stack via ZDNet
- StorSimple Virtual Array available for Cloud Solutions Provider (CSP) partners by Murali K Keloth
- Azure CLI: Managed Disks by Aaron Roney
- Announcing the release of StorSimple Virtual Array Update 0.4 by Harsha Kiran Kanna
- Instant File Recovery from Cloud using Azure Backup by Kartik P V R
- How to connect a PowerShell client to the German Cloud by Benjamin Perkins
- New Lower Prices on Azure Virtual Machines and Blob Storage by Venkat Gattamneni
- Azure CLI ‘config’ is not an azure command by Benjamin Perkins
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Automating Azure Analysis Services processing with Azure Functions by Orsolya Gal
- Azure IoT Hub Connector to Cassandra now available by Sam George
- Enable logging for your Hybrid Connection Manager, troubleshooting by Benjamin Perkins
- Azure Functions on 64 bit by Benjamin Perkins
- Service Hooks Integration with VSTS and Azure Function by Gouri Sohoni
- Announcing Continuous Delivery Tools for Visual Studio 2017 by Andrew B Hall
- Integrating OData and DocumentDb with Azure Functions by Adrian Hall
- Announcing custom domain HTTPS support with Azure CDN by Manling Zhang
- Azure Traffic Manager probe degraded due to 401 from Azure Web App by Jeff Sanders
- Using Azure Xplat-CLI with Azure App Services in the German Cloud by Benjamin Perkins
- Common workloads on Azure Service Fabric by Mahesh M Kshirsagar
- 70-774 Perform Cloud Data Science with Azure Machine Learning Certification Exam by Chris Pietschmann
- Java: Manage Azure Managed Disks by Asir Selvasingh
- .NET: Manage Azure Managed Disks by Asir Selvasingh
- January 2017 Leaderboard of Database Systems contributors on MSDN by Rahul Venkatraj
Database / Big Data
- Load Data from Azure Data Lake into Azure SQL Data Warehouse at 3TB/Hour via Cortana Intelligence and ML Blog
- 10 GitHub samples with Azure DocumentDB you shouldn’t miss! by Rimma Nehme
- Automate Export Azure SQL DB to blob storage use Automation account by Mohamed Ahmed Baioumy
- Microsoft R Server – Using Hive data source in Spark compute context by Eqbal Zaffar
- Big Data Tools in Azure by David Giard
- Announcing preview of Storage Service Encryption for File Storage by Lavanya Kasarabada
- Cloud computing guide for researchers – eBird big data analysis using Microsoft Azure by Dr Kenji Takeda
- SQL Data Warehouse now supports seamless integration with Azure Data Lake Store by Casey Karst
Internet of Things
- IoT White Paper: How OEMs and ISVs can lead the way in digital transformation via Microsoft IoT
- How IoT and AI are transforming cars with intelligent mobility via Microsoft IoT
- Microsoft to make more Cognitive Services tools available to developers via ZDNet
- Botcamp: Building smart bots with Capita using the Microsoft Bot Framework by Jamie Dalton
- Microsoft Student Partners – Azure Machine Learning Workshop at University of Cambridge by Lee Stott
- Introduction to Deep Learning- Bianca Furtuna by Lee Stott
- Scale your deep learning workloads on MXNet R (scoring phase) by Tsuyoshi Matsuzaki
- Keeping up with Azure Government – January Highlights by Spenser Bullock
- Azure Content Spotlight – Azure CAT by chilberto
- Azure Government Documentation: January update by Ryan GH
- Using the Azure Billing API and calculate the costs by Armin Reiter
Here are links to some of the videos that have been posted over the past week:
- Tuesdays with Corey: checking out the new Marketplace portal | Tuesdays With Corey via Channel 9
- 2. Azure Compute for Games | Gaming Services on Azure via Channel 9
- SQL tools for Linux, Mac OS, and Windows | Data Exposed via Channel 9
- Uncover insights rapidly from petabytes of data in Azure Data Lake Store with SQL Data Warehouse PolyBase support by Sachin C Sheth
- Abi Iyer and Jen Anderson on Azure support for Red Hat Linux by David Giard
Audio / Podcasts
To complete the collection of different mediums to allow you to consume your Azure news / info in any way you want, here’s a list of the podcasts released this week:
- Episode 179 | AvePoint Citizen Services with Dux Raymond Sy and Paul Olenick via Microsoft Cloud Show
- Chatbots with Galiya Warrier via DotNetRocks!
General Cloud / Related
Here’s some noteworthy links about Cloud computing and other related topics that aren’t necessarily specific to Microsoft Azure:
- Getting Down To Bare Metal On The Cloud by Jeffrey Burt
- Microsoft to release Visual Studio 2017 on March 7 via ZDNet
- Announcing the DockerCon speakers and sessions by Jenny Burcio
- Solving the Challenges of Scientific Clouds by Nicole Hemsoth
- Using US Census data with Bing Maps via Bing Team
I am currently looking to sign up additional sponsors of Build Azure. If you’re interested, please go here for more information, or contact me directly. If you want to see some information about the traffic and audience reach of Build Azure, please read the “2016: Build Azure Year in Review” post.
The types of feedback I’m looking for are:
- What do you like?
- What do you dislike?
- What would you change?
- What would you add?
Please feel free to reach out and let me know your feedback on the Build Azure Weekly series. I post this weekly post as a service to others and really want to make it the best it can be.
Alternatively, you can join the Build Azure Slack Group as well.