There are many excellent reasons to use Microsoft Azure to host applications and enterprise systems. There’s even plenty of criticisms on it being expensive to host small websites, however the App Service offering in Microsoft Azure does offer the ability to easily host a website in the cloud completely FREE!
Free Azure Websites
The paid Website tiers of the Azure App Service Web Apps feature offer tons of features to host highly scalable enterprise or internet-scale applications. However, there still is a FREE option to easily host no obligation websites in the Microsoft Azure cloud platform.
The Web Apps FREE tier offers the following features:
- 1 GB storage space
- “.azurewebsites.net” subdomain
- Remote debugging with Visual Studio debugger
- Multi-framework / platform support:
- .NET Framework
- Multiple deployment options:
- FTP / FTPS
- Web Deploy
- Deployment from Github repository
- Virtual applications and directories
- Social Authentications using:
- Azure Active Directory
- Microsoft Account
- Ability to run background scripts via Web Jobs
- Performance monitoring
In addition to the features lists above, there are many, MANY other features of Azure App Service Web Apps that you get to take advantage of. Many of these features are not offered by traditional free or shared hosting providers.
To get started with Microsoft Azure, you can sign up for a Free Trial and get $200 in credit in addition to all the Free options that are available!