There are a large number of Virtual Machine (VM) images available within the Azure Marketplace that range from Windows Server, various Linux distributions, to the latest Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 just released. Just login to the Azure Portal, search the Azure Marketplace for the VM image you need, and create it on your subscription. This is the easiest way to setup a VM that you can then remote into without needing to setup any hardware. Plus, when you’re done just delete it.
To find the Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 in the Azure Marketplace just follow the below steps:
- Navigate to the Azure Portal
- Click on the “New” plus sign button in the top left of the Azure Portal
- Simply type “Windows Server 2016” into the search box, and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 should be an auto suggest option.
- Upon hitting Enter a list of results will display showing the Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5
- Click on Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 in the list to bring up the information about it
- Lastly, click “Create” and follow the prompts to configure and setup the VM
Enjoy playing around with the latest Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 release without needing to provision any hardware. Simply create the VM in Azure and play around for as long or as little as you need, then just delete the VM to stop paying for it. It’s just that easy!